But for me the adventure had kind of already begun. On June 7 I left for Tokyo then took a connecting flight to Manila, where I arrived late June 8. Since then I have been seeing the city and parts of the country and just generally having a really relaxing time. My friend Joker (also BK '10) has been hosting me, and she and her family are just absurdly kind and generous.
A couple days ago we drove out to a see a volcano and, after crossing the water out to the mountain in a bangka (traditional Filipino outrigger canoe) rode little ponies up to the crater lake. It was genuinely gorgeous (if smelling strongly of sulfur):

I took this photo from atop my trusty steed Patricia on the descent. If you can make out any white specks along the path, those are other riders. (Sorry about that fuzzy black circle near the upper left corner... I think there is a speck of dust under my lens and I expect this to be a recurring nuisance throughout this blog.)
Finally the ponies got some rest (the dude on the right in the red shorts with the blue stripe was my guide, James. He's next to Patricia):
Later in the day, I went to the barn and rode around the arena Joker trains/teaches at (she's an internationally competitive rider, which I am not):
and then briefly chilled with this guy:Next day I visited some of the landmarks in Old Manila while Joker was at the barn. The first stop was Rizal Park.
After the park, I took a little buggy around another part of the city surrounding Fort Santiago.

The lovely Manila Cathedral, the sixth version to rise on the site:
The memorial to the victims of the liberation of Manila, February 3-March 3, 1945:

One of a number of sites the Japanese used as prison cells during the occupation:
And inside the fort grounds:
Today, my last day here, we rode canoes up a river a few hours away.

The way our guides took us up was seriously hardcore. When we got to the bottom of a rapid, they would push off the surrounding rocks and often actually get out of the canoe and run alongside it on the rocks, barefoot. Metal pipes had been placed across the rapids at a number of points, where the guides would pull the canoes completely out of the water over the pipes.
Our final stop before heading back downriver was a big waterfall. We went out to it on those platforms you can see behind me. I thought we would go into the cave behind the waterfall through the opening to the right there. Instead we went directly underneath :-)

My only regret is that we didn't get a picture of the monkey we saw.
So that's the last few days in brief using just a few of the pictures I have. This week has been amazingly relaxing. Tonight the week was topped off by a full body massage when Joker's family's masseuses visited the house. Not bad! I wouldn't mind sticking around and am not sure I'm quite ready to cram a year of study into two months, but I'm excited nonetheless. My first week ever in Asia hasn't been too shabby and I have high hopes for the next eight weeks. I'll keep posting here with hopefully a little more text to accompany the pictures.
Oh, and the reason my profile is what it is is that I also contribute to a blog for my a cappella group...
~jon
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing this part of your trip!
Post a Comment